Enjoy Minecraft? Check out ProdigyCraft!
  1. William

William
  2. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

Hello prodigies,

Another one of these posts?! I know it is not fun to be apart of a community that is constantly having highs and lows and losing loyal, veteran members on a weekly basis. I apologize for the lack of transparency the past two months, it was not intentional. As you may have noticed Prodigy-X 742 has not been updated in just over a month. There are plenty of excuses for our lack of work and success with the 742 but to keep it short and simple - Eric, Adrian, Kevin and myself all got extremely busy IRL in September and the first few weeks of October and then quickly lost interest when we saw that traffic to PX had dropped tenfold in just the matter of a few weeks - this has crushed our motivation and had us rethink where we wanted to spend our time and money going forward.

When we brought back the Pre-EOC server this past July we had high hopes and were looking to hold a stable player base of at least 30 or 40. And we did for a short while. Mistakes were made (rushing our re-release among other things) and Pre-EOC has once again proven to not be a viable long term solution in the current RSPS market. While there are a few successful Pre-EOC servers out there, none have them have managed to top 100 players and the majority of the remaining RSPS players are fixated on oldschool servers.

The team has been discussing this on and off for a LONG time and it should have been done a LONG time ago, but we have finally decided that we are going to shift our resources to focusing on building a kick-ass oldschool private server that can and will last for years to come. A few months ago Keiron and myself started talking about this and came across an opportunity to buy a high quality OSRS server built by the creator of perhaps two of the most popular RSPS of all time (Alotic and RuneNova). We ended up investing in a copy of this server for our project. This oldschool server was hosted in 2016/2017 and held a player base of several hundred - however it is in no way complete and requires a significant amount of work around content, especially updating to the latest OSRS data (#176).

Keiron and I took the lead and we have assembled a team around this new project and have already been working on it for around a month now, with more help on its way we're eager to start showing you our progress. With this teams combined RSPS experience (25+ years) and connections we are confident that we can bring something great to the OSRSPS scene.

The Team (so far):

Keiron
    William
    Eric
    Adrian
    Kevin
    Dj Slimey
    Stephen
    Sam
    Destr0

The Server:
    • In an effort to really start this fresh and give it the best chance for success the team has agreed that we need to re-brand this server. As we will be keeping Prodigy-X 742 online this server will be called something new, however we haven't decided on that yet so stay tuned :)
    • Currently protocol #105 loading #131 data. Loading latest OSRS data (#176) is in progress
    • Economy oriented with near perfect combat/PvP and tons of PvM options
    • Lots more details to come in a later thread..
    [​IMG]

Q&A:

Q: What does this mean for Prodigy-X 742?

A: Prodigy-X 742 and Pre-EOC has been our bread and butter since first starting this community way back in 2012 and is why most of you are a part of this community. We have absolutely no intentions of closing Prodigy-X 742 but we will be limiting the amount of time and money we invest into it as we don't see it as a viable long-term solution. This means that Prodigy-X 742 will still receive a monthly update from here on out and will continue to be hosted for anyone who wants to enjoy its gameplay. If not enough funds are available for its monthly hosting expenses I will personally pay out of pocket for up to 6 months if people are still enjoying it.

Q: What does this mean for my account?

A: As mentioned, Prodigy-X 742 will remain online and your account unaffected. Prodigy-X 742 will never have another reset and your membership benefits will continue as-is. The OS project will be a completely new server with new accounts (PX 742 players will be given some benefits to join when the time comes).

Q: When will the OS server be released?

A: At this time we are not announcing any dates or declaring any deadlines. In the past we have made the mistake of rushing our projects and have suffered because of it. When the time is right and we are confident in the OS project's state we will share more details on a release plan. With that said, the goal is to have this server up and running shortly before the winter holidays begin to capitalize on increased traffic during that time.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to post them below.

Conclusion:

I know that there has been a lot of back and forth in our plans for this server and community the past year and a half. But I truly think that this is the right direction for us to take and I think with this team and server we have a great chance at being successful and bringing something great to the OSRSPS market.

I look forward to you joining us on this journey. There is a lot more information to come this week and next, we will be starting a developer's blog as well as newsletter to keep you up-to-date on everything about this project.

As always, happy gaming,

The Prodigy-X Team

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Fam0uz, Fusimalo, Kinben and 2 others like this.
  3. Kinben

Kinben
  4. Joined:
    Oct 6, 2017

Let the memes begin.

5. Hunter

Hunter
  6. Joined:
    Mar 3, 2015

Eyy, I'll play this. Can we get donor status transferred?

Breakfast and William like this.
  7. Dj Slimey

Dj Slimey
  8. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2016
    Server Support

So happy, I can't wait to play. :D

William likes this.
  9. William

William
  10. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

No memes this time because we're actually going to get it online :)

11. William

William
  12. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

Look forward to seeing you around again! We intend to provide some sort of incentive for past or present PX 742 members who join once we're live. Most likely bonds.

13. Kinben

Kinben
  14. Joined:
    Oct 6, 2017

If it's going to be rebranded wut give stuff out for being with px?

15. Redrum

Redrum
  16. Joined:
    Oct 4, 2015

Big meme time

17. Keiron

Keiron
  18. Joined:
    Oct 11, 2015

Hasn't been decided but don't expect amazing things at least

19. Triage

Triage
  20. Joined:
    Oct 9, 2015

Should just end the 742. Flagship the oldschool server and let the pre-EOC part of the community die.

21. William

William
  22. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

If after a few months the 742 has no traffic or interest we will get together and make that decision.

23. Venom Snake

Venom Snake
  24. Joined:
    Nov 28, 2015

Tbh I think a lot of people don't even bother looking when they see the name prodigy-x because they associate it with something they've already finished/played - doesn't matter reopening because people already have an opinion of the server and if they've already left it's probably because they wanted something else.

I think rebranding the server when the os server is reopened so that when it is in server lists people won't see "Oh that's px I already played and didn't like X" and see a new place instead. Just a thought.

25. Triage

Triage
  26. Joined:
    Oct 9, 2015

27. Breakfast

Breakfast
  28. Joined:
    Jul 17, 2016
    Prodigy

Goodluck team!

29. William

William
  30. Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014

Quick update on things..

By the end of this coming week I should have the networking and core protocol update done for moving to OSRS #176. After which point Kevin and Keiron will jump in to work on converting the packets and then we're on to starting on content.

Once again, we are not announcing any sort of release dates as this will likely be a slow moving, high-quality only project (there is a lot of OSRS private server competition out there and we need to take our time to make sure everything is perfect).

More to come soon. We will start posting update logs once the boring stuff is over with and content development starts flowing.

Dj Slimey likes this.
  31. Dj Slimey

Dj Slimey
  32. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2016
    Server Support

Progress takes time, I am glad that we are are taking it slow.

33. Jason_07

Jason_07
  34. Joined:
    Nov 2, 2017

You can't rush perfection. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result and getting to play once again. To be honest, I was more of a fan of the pre-eoc but our community is worth sticking around for no matter what revision its in. Great community overall. All that aside, I do have one suggestion that maybe we should think on? I am in no way trying to tell you guys what to do because you guys have more experience with it all. Although, from what I've seen, the majority of our players we lost that *I* seen leave, their biggest reason for leaving was that they had seen "since 2012" when they found our RSPS on whatever website they might have seen it. I honestly feel like this played a BIG role in why we struggled to keep newcomers around. Personally I think we would have been better off to advertise the server as new server. Because they see our low player base due to just being re-opened and all, and its a huge discouragement for them. Either they say "its been up since 2012 and this is all you've got?" or they take the time to listen to your story and they actually allow you to explain why the player base is low due to previous shutdowns and then went offline for a while, but now we're back up and running and plan to be bigger than before. With all due respect, the majority of players are just gonna kinda laugh and move on to the next server because we appear to be an unstable server in their eyes. They haven't been around to see everything, see where we came from, the time you guys have put in, and honestly, they don't always believe the whole backstory as to why we shutdown or whatever. They look at it as "an owner trying to make some profit". That being said, I know better. I know you guys care about the community and its not all "just about the money". We DO have a great community with great owners. But I think the newcomers lack to believe that because they don't KNOW the server and where all we've been.

To sum this up, I am no way dissing the server or you guys' ability. Im just throwing out a suggestion. You guys do a hell of a job and ALWAYS try to look out for the server and OUR community. I just feel that's kind of where a small part of the problem lies is you guys focus so hard on taking care of US. But to the newcomers they see a server with 3-4 players on at a time thats "been up since 2012" they lack to know the full info. So my suggestion is, we get rid of the "since 2012" phrase and advertise as a new server all around. Whatever it is you guys decide, I'm still here to help any way possible and look forward to playing the OSRS server as well. Thanks again for all the hard work you guys put into the server! :)

Dj Slimey likes this.
  35. Dj Slimey

Dj Slimey
  36. Joined:
    Jan 31, 2016
    Server Support

Wow that was a mouthful, I had to reread to make sure I got everything.
    I too like the Pre-Eoc very much, and I still play now and then and will so more once OS is ready. The community is one of the best Imo, we have players from all over the world and I am glad to know you all. (even the ones who have left.)

I agree I think that releasing as a new server would have been a better move, but we aren't going to change things now.
    A lot of the teams talks in recent months have been about how we should proceed (what our next steps are and should be.) This has been a central talking point in our discussions. We are dedicated to continuing to bring Qol improvements to P-X, right now we are all focused on OS as well as are Irl lives and jobs. (I myself have a few things happening in the next few months.) We will provide news on both P-X and OS as we can.

Good point, we do cater to older member a lot more and to a higher degree then new players, I can also agree that it would be a put off for the newer players who join as they see it as favoritism and to a degree it is..
    I also would like to see more focus on keeping the newer players.

I look forward to playing with you all again soon(tm).